Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thing #16 Book Nerd Heaven

I've been holding on to a gift card for Barnes and Noble that a lovely friend gave me for my birthday this summer. Hanging on to it because I usually need a couple of hours to spare when I walk into a Barnes and Noble, and I just haven't had the time. For the true book nerd, bookstores and libraries are mini-vacations and are places in which we love to get lost.

Because of the LibraryThing my search for the next best read only took a few minutes. I used both Zeitgeist and the suggester to make a list of possible reads. Zeitgeist has categorized books according to numerous things -- most reviewed, top books, top authors, and star rating. The suggester suggests books based on titles that I love. We can read the reviews of other book nerds -- people who appreciate the finer elements of reading and writing. I used to do this through Amazon, but unlike Amazon, LibraryThing seems more authentic because no one is trying to sale me something.

So with pen and paper at my side, I searched through LibraryThings and jotted down several titles uncovered in my explorations. Watch out B&N, here I come, and I'm not staying all day. Well, maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. If I had a million dollars, I could spend it ALL in Barnes & Noble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love shopping for books, and I like how you used this site as recon for a blitz on the bookstore. That way you are sure to come home with something, and you can spend more time poking around. Ahhh, the smell of books. . .

    ReplyDelete