Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thing #12 - Let the slides begin

I'm going to be really lazy. Let me explain. When I created my page in the sandbox, I, also, created a slide show using RockYou. I thought it was part of the assignment. Maybe, it was just a stretch activity. I'm being so lazy at this point that I'm not even going to go back and read what it was. It doesn't matter because what's done is done. That's what happens when we skim sometimes. The good news is that I've already created my slide show. Yeah!!!! The not-so-positive news is that the slide show creation required several hours of eyesight-declining, gray-hair turning, children-neglecting, coffee-drinking work.

In reality, the generic concept of using images from Flickr to create a slide show is really fairly simple. But my personal project was not quite so generic or simple. I wanted to create a product that I could use for a mystery unit. When we read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, I have the students write their own mini-mysteries using photographs. I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere, but I can't remember where (perhaps in my Flickr thing or perhaps in my dreams). So, if I'm being repetitive, I apologize.

Because of my ultimate goal (students writing mini-mysteries), I felt obligated to find a variety of pictures that would appeal to the variety of students so that they could create unique stories. Thus, my images were really not linked by theme. This was the hard part. I needed pictures of people and landscapes. I needed scary homes, sad faces, dark alleys, small gatherings, nightlife, dimly lit woods, and the list goes on and on.

Once I found my photos, I explored the many options for slide shows and decided to use RockYou. I liked the numerous transitions that were available for the slides, and I liked that I could easily add music. I would like to slow down the transition speed a bit, but I'm not sure if this is possible. So the slide show part of the assignment was really very simple and didn't require that much time or effort. It was the foundation for the slide show that was a pain.

I know my mystery slide show needs work. Perhaps, I'll take out some pictures or change some picture. I've since realized that I need to number the photographs or label them somehow so that the students can refer to the picture they are using. I've, also, considered that I could use the slide show in a blog or a wiki and the students' actual mystery stories can be directly posted on the site for all to see. They can even embed the images into their posts. Or if they wanted, they could provide their own images as the inspiration for their stories. Wow...I'm just beginning to think about the possibilities -- one of the advantages to blogging.

I'm sure I can think of other lessons in which I can use slide shows. For one, I can envision pikistrips as a way for students to create novel reviews. They can create 8-slide comic strip summaries of the key events in a short story, novel, or play. Perhaps, they can create a comic strip summaries of a character's traits. I'm brainstorming at this point, but I see all kinds of possibilities with this technology.

So back to my laziness. I'm embedding the slide show that I've already embedded in my sandbox page. If you've been there, then this is nothing new. If you haven't, then here is my new creation.

Enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. I like your spooky pictures, and I can see how much more time and effort finding them were than mine. Ninja Mickey also was looking for more of a concept than a tangible item, and tags then might actually help more. Some day I may attempt this for the 7 Deadly Sins project, but I really have no desire to remake the movie I already made. I am hoping I can just swap out pictures and avoid having to retime the music.
    Out of curiosity, are you going to show this slide show and have your kids choose a picture to write a story over? Do you have creepy music to go with it? I bet you could find some spooky Halloween music to play in the background. Too bad you don't do this lesson toward the end of October . . . or do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about scary music. I skimmed through the various genres when trying to find a song. Maybe, there will be something in the instrumental section. We don't get to this unit until the 3rd six-week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found one. It's a theme song from X-Files. Much better. Thanks for the idea, Salinger. In case anyone wants some advise, I had to go to "My Stuff" in RockYou, select the slide show, then REMIX, then change the songs. When I tried to edit the original slide, I couldn't get rid of the original song. It looked as if the original song was gone, but it continued to play. So, it's as if I had to make a new show with the new songs. Remix was the key for me. It copies the show, then I changed the songs. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. I know it wore you out, but that's part of the process and next time, it will be easier!

    ReplyDelete