Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thing #22 Face it...

I already have a Facebook, but like too many things in my life right now, I just don't have time for it. The only reason I even created this monster the first time around was to track down a long, lost friend. Of course, I found her, since almost everyone in the world has a Facebook account. I got to look at some pictures of my once-upon-a-time close friend and her family. Like me, she married an Arab, had some kids, tried to adjust to the limbo world of a modern woman and an old fashioned homemaker. We had lots in common -- like navigating ways on how to work all day and still find time to cook Mansuf (a delicious, yet time-consuming dish, of lamb and yogurt sauce). Anyway, she moved to Virginia a couple of years ago, hubby an Exxon honcho, and we've lost touch:( The best thing about Facebook is that I can see the kids, kids whose births I attended -- when I said close, I meant close. They are teens and preteens, now. My how time flies.

The thing that I dislike about Facebook is all of the comments from people who I really don't even know that somehow end up on my wall. Someone comments on Pat's wall, I see it. Someone comments on Sarou -- a foreign exchange student who stayed with us a couple of years back -- I see it. And I really don't want to. I'm sure there is a way to fix this, but I just don't have enough of a desire to find this out.

Now, if I had a digital camera and tons of time, Facebook would be cool. I think the teens like it so much because they like to stay up until 2-3 in the morning chatting and updating and commenting. I'm sleeping by then. As a matter of fact, I'm usually sleeping by now.

I guess as a social network it has some potential. Since we can somehow connect to other teachers -- or people who have similar hobbies and interests -- we'd have another resource (and I'm assuming we can make connections like this).

Anyway, I created an anonymous profile, English Marm. Maybe, when I'm finished with these 23 things, finished with my elearn, finished with a voicethread I want to create, I can do something with this profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment