Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thing # 21 More Googly goop

I first explored the magazines that are available through Google. There are so many options: Life, American Cowboy, Billboard, Weekly World News -- if you need a laugh - did you know that Elvis was still alive? Why didn't I hear about this on CNN?. Anyway, some of the issues are dated, which could be cool for studying a certain period in history/literature, something the kids could do, explore a time period, based on a piece of literature they are studying, through magazines (I realize this is an awkwardly worded sentence, but I'm tired -- my brain is pausing just as my sentence is pausing).

Just for kicks, I decided to look up one of the best years/best months in history -- June 1967 -- in Life Magazine just to see what was happening the month/year I was born. I was sadden to be reminded that a war was going on in the Mideast. I guess it'll never end. Plus, I realized that according to the advertisements, people were doing lots o' drinkin' and smokin'.

I decided to explore the Google labs, which has products that are under development. This was actually the most interesting and perhaps most useful link in my searches. First, I found Google Squared, which takes data from across the web and compiles it into a chart. I squared Westerns and received a massive cube of information. Fastflip is a nifty place that has the front pages of several magazines. This is better than standing in line at the grocery store.

Anyway, if I had more time, I could do more stuff with the various Google apps. It's nice just to be aware of the many useful tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment