Monday, September 28, 2009

Thing #7 - Comments, please.

The comments people make on blogs just reveals the many sides of human nature. It's like sitting at the airport and people watching. We see the kind, patient person, the frustrated, unyielding person, the quiet, intelligent, person, and so on. Just like traveling can bring out the worst in us, anonymity can do the same. Once again, it goes back to so much of what we have discussed in our previous blogs -- some people are just mean and nasty and really don't care if they hurt or shame someone else. These ignorant, closed-minded, arrogant (I could list so many adjectives but I'll stop) people are so miserable in their own lives, they want to bring us all down. Perhaps, they value their own opinions so much that they actually believe no one else matters.

And then we have the other end of the spectrum in which people just say nice things. I can't stand that either. I guess I'm hard to please.

Well... after commenting on the blogs of some of my co-workers, I realized that it's actually pretty easy to talk to the ones I love. I know these gals, I know that they are accessible and kind, and I know that they are truly bright and will only offer useful advice and comments. So that part of the assignment was a piece of cake. I did realize something though, and maybe it's just me. It is as if the blogging world is separate from the real world. I see these gals everyday, and I never discuss the blogging issues or comments or this assignment with them in person. It's as if we are living in two parallel dimensions.

Okay...now back to the topic. Even though commenting on my co-bloggers blogs is easy and comfortable, when I had to comment on a complete stranger's blog, I was a little stunted. I just couldn't think of anything to say. And even though I had anonymity, I still felt a little insecure. Perhaps, this goes back to an earlier comment. When we have to comment for a grade, are our comments relevant and helpful or just fulfilling the obligation? I think they can be both, but I, also, believe that we have to be inspired or have an "ah-ha" moment or have some kind of personal reaction to someone's words in order to make a really sincere contribution.

Oh well...

5 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I'm glad you brought up the topic of the gratuitous comment. Who needs it? Writers want constructive feedback; narcissists want adulation. I was never so disappointed in college as when I received a graded paper with no comments!

    Teaching students to blog and comment constructively is surely as difficult as teaching them to offer constructive feedback during peer editing. Without feedback (constructively and gently offered), I wonder how long it would take me to come up with a new idea or a way to improve myself? One of the best things about blogging is that one post can generate new ideas and discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this in my classes when my kids workshop. You can tell, after one or two essays, which students are really constructive peer revisionists, and further into the year, other kids figure this out and begin gravitating toward them during revision days. But they weren't necessarily "born" good revisionists. Training them to be that way took time and patience, and a certain buy-in on their part. I think if we are going into the world of blogging, teaching kids to comment constructively should be a goal and could be taught using the same strategies as peer editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit it right on when you said, "one of the best things about blogging is that one post can generate new ideas and discussions." It's how creative, intelligent people work -- digressions, tangents, sparks of inspiration, 20,000 ideas bouncing around in their minds at once. Blogs offer a perfect place for this to occur, only with sincere feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment about the "gals" truly touched my heart (I sure hope you were including me in that statement). You are right, though. We don't discuss our blogs out loud during the school day. I understand that blogging gives us safety, but why can't be talk about them in person (other than our completely opposing schedules . . . stupid schedules)? Maybe we should meet after school one day (say at Starbucks or Java Ranch) and talk about the topics we've discussed in our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NinjaMickey, You were definitely included in "the gals." We should meet, any excuse to go to Starbucks and talk blogs or whatever.

    ReplyDelete