Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thing #1 - Lifelong learning

I have always considered myself a lifelong learner. I'm curious and determined and just hate being in the dark (well, most of the time). Beginning with the end in mind may be a challenge for me. Although I do see an end result, my journey to that end takes many detours. I'm always adjusting, changing, and sometimes, letting go of the end. More often than not, when I get to the end it is not the same end I envisioned in the beginning.

The habits which are the most resonant for me are viewing problems as challenges and teaching others. These habits pretty much sum me up. Even on a personal level, I try to see what I can learn from hardship. Struggles, complications, and problems make me stronger, smarter, and more capable. On a learning level, my brain requires a workout to stay healthy and fit. The bigger the challenge the better the workout. I like working out my brain (it gives me an excuse for not working out my thighs). My brain is one thing that I hope to hang onto into my old age (once again, I've given up on my thighs). Plus, I've never just accepted what others have told me. I have to know and discover for myself the answers. I just don't see the fun in having the answers or solutions handed to me.

The habit of teaching or mentoring has been a part of my life since lined up my bears and dolls on my bed and taught them their a, b, c's. It is something I've always loved. Like most teachers, I want to help, share, and inspire. Doing for others is my love language, and through teaching, I get to show love on a grand scale. In addition, I've learned more about literature, life, and learning through teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think being a teacher means you love learning and are already a life-long learner. And I completely agree that discovering the answers feels more rewarding than just being handed them, though sometimes it seems our students don't feel the same way. Answers are so easy and fast to come by anymore than the idea of "working" for them seems outdated. I suppose that makes me dated for thinking that way. Also, I loved what you said about ending up in a different place than what you had envisioned at first. I think that is true of my experiences too; what is really cool is when the place you wind up in is better than what you first imagined. I wish I would find that journey's end more often.

    ReplyDelete